Tornadoes are arguably nature’s most violent storms. Generated from powerful thunderstorms, tornadoes generally appear as rotating, funnel-shaped clouds extending from the cloud base to the ground. With winds that can reach up to 300 miles per hour, tornadoes can cause massive destruction within seconds. Damage paths can be in excess of one mile wide and fifty miles long.
- The average tornado moves southwest to northeast, but tornadoes have been known to move in any direction.
- The average forward speed of a tornado is 30 miles per hour but may vary from stationary to 70 miles per hour.
- Tornadoes can accompany tropical storms and hurricanes as they move onto land.
- They are most frequently reported during spring and summer months.
- Tornadoes are most likely to occur between 3pm and 9pm.
Unexpected emergencies like tornadoes call for immediate action. SERVPRO of Hannibal knows immediate reaction to the disaster is important to helping you get your life back to normal. We are here to make it “Like it never even happened.” Call us at 573-231-0056.