We actively watch the weather here at SERVPRO of Hannibal. As we enter the winter storm season, here are some reminders and tips.
Watches, Warnings, and Advisories
- Winter Storm Watch: Be alert, a storm is likely.
- Winter Storm Warning: Take action, the storm is in or entering the area.
- Winter Weather Advisory: Winter weather conditions are expected to cause significant inconveniences and may be hazardous, especially to motorists.
- Frost/Freeze Warning: Below freezing temperatures are expected and may cause damage to plants, crops, or fruit trees.
- Blizzard Warning: Snow and strong winds combined will produce blinding snow, near zero visibility, deep drifts, and life-threatening wind chill – seek refuge immediately.
- Seal drafts from doors and windows.
- Leave all water taps slightly open so they drip continuously.
- Close off unused rooms
- Listen to your radio, television, or NOAA Weather Radio for weather reports and emergency information.
- Find or build a shelter as protection from the wind.
- Cover all exposed body parts.
- Build a fire with rocks around it to absorb and reflect heat and to attract attention.
- Melt snow for drinking water to avoid dehydration.
- Avoid overexertion.
- Cover your mouth to protect your lungs from extremely cold air.
- Watch for signs of frostbite and hypothermia.
- Avoid walking on ice