Driving Winter Safety Tips
- Avoid using cruise control in wintry conditions.
- Steer in the direction of a skid so when your wheels regain traction, you don’t have to overcorrect to stay in your lane.
- Accelerate and decelerate slowly.
- If possible, don’t stop when going uphill.
If visibility is severely limited due to a whiteout, pull off the road to a safe place and do not drive until conditions improve. Avoid pulling off onto the shoulder unless it is an absolute emergency. Limited visibility means other vehicles can’t see yours on the shoulder.
Prepare Your Car
- Check your tires air pressure. Replace them with all-weather or snow tires if necessary.
- Keep your gas tank full.
- Use wintertime fluid in your windshield washer.
- Make an emergency kit.
Have a Fully Charged Phone
- Have a car charger.
- Have a portable battery charger.